Blue Canyon Technologies (BCT) is leading the way in the New Space revolution! Our state-of-the-art systems are currently on missions from low Earth orbit to the Moon, near earth asteroids, and to Mars. We create high-reliability spacecraft with significantly greater performance, much smaller size and at a fraction of the cost of traditional space systems. We are involved in a wide range of projects for academic, commercial, and government applications. Join our innovative and dynamic company, as we build the small spacecraft of the future.
Job Title: Senior RF Systems Engineer
Position Type: Full Time
Pay Range: $107,000-$165,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
Location: Lafayette, CO
Purpose: The Senior RF Systems Engineer will be working in a team environment, with frequent opportunities for customer engagement, new business development, concept design, detailed design, analysis, integration, and test, plus orbit operations.
- 100% company paid health, dental and vision benefits for you and your dependents effective the first of the month following hire date
- Life insurance
- 401k (matching 4% with a minimum 5% contribution)
- Generous PTO (3 weeks of vacation + 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick time, 7 paid holidays throughout the year) and parental leave
- Break rooms stocked with snacks and drinks
- Review and support development of RF subsystem requirements and verification techniques
- Develop RF subsystem design that meets program technical requirements, cost & schedule
- Develop and maintain RF link analyses for communications subsystem performance
- Review and provide input to mechanical layout of all components in the RF subsystem
- Develop SOWs (as needed) for externally procured components and work with suppliers, BCT purchasing and BCT contracts for component procurement
- Review and support development of RF hardware interface specifications, CONOPS definition, and space-to-ground ICD
- Develop test procedure for the RF subsystem system level testing, support RF testing and review test results
- Support commissioning and on-orbit operations as needed
- Participate in program meetings with the customer, providing support to RF subsystem and system operational discussions
- Assist with proposals and facilitate technical exchanges with the engineering team
- Work collaboratively with BCT SDR and Antenna component owners on requirements for new SDR and Antenna designs
- Support the BCT team in executing flight programs that meet technical and cost obligation
- Work closely with other contractors/teammates in meeting program specific as well as BCT company-wide needs
- Collaborate closely with other technical leads and diverse domain expertise
- Provide mentoring of RF expertise to other engineers at BCT
- Ensure all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes, and regulations as well as company policies and directives
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 7-20 years of experience
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 7 or more years related experience.
- Experience as a spacecraft systems engineer, RF subsystem engineer, RF subsystem test engineer
- Experience and skills in RF system design or RF system testing
- Strong systems engineering skills in RFI/EMI and mitigation
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment
- Experience in all phases of the program life cycle (business development, mission formulation, requirements flow-down, manufacturing, integration and test, and on-orbit operations)
- Experience in space communication system design, link budget analysis, component specification / procurement, RF system testing and on-orbit operations
- Ability to conceive and develop RF communications designs across a diverse set of customer needs
- Ability to establish balanced technical and cost solutions
- Familiarity with cryptographic systems, architecture, Type 1 and Suite B cryptography
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Experience with satellite communication encryption strategies
- Good documentation and communication skills
This job operates in a professional office environment, but in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets and fax machines. This job operates in a professional laboratory environment in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard laboratory equipment such as computers, electronics test equipment, and RF test equipment such as power meters, spectrum analyzers, and various RF modems.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, reach, and walk. The position requires some light physical effort. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required by this job which includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Blue Canyon Technologies is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other protected factor. Blue Canyon Technologies is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Cathy Juntunen at 720-450-8252 or HR@bluecanyontech.com.